Umar Khalid is a popular human activist and former student and member of Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi.
Also, he was a former leader of the Democratic Student’s Union at Jawaharlal Nehru University.
Umar Khalid news made headlines when he was arrested by the Delhi police under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
Who is Umar? Why is the trending in news? Why is Umar arrested? Is he guilty? Is Umar married? Scroll down to know more about human activist Umar.
Also, Check: ➡Ishaan Katter Wiki
Umar Khalid Biography
Umar was born on 11 August 1987, his age is 33 years as of 2020. He was born and brought up in a middle-class Muslim family from Jamia Nagar, New Delhi, India.
Table Of Contents
Umar studied from Rai Public School, Delhi. Later he studied at Kirori Mal College of the Delhi University from where completed his graduation in history.
Umar completed his m aster’s course and M.Phil in history from Jawaharlal Nehru University. Khalid also pursued his Ph.D. degree from JNU and his subject of the thesis was “Contesting Claims and contingencies of the rule on Adivasis of Jharkhand”.
Umar Khalid Career
Umar Khalid has started his career as a Human Rights activist after completion of his Ph.D. degree.
In 2009, he was featured in a student-made documentary on Islamophobia. Later in the same year, he was invited to study at Yale University but he rejected the offer and started his works for the minorities in the country.
In 2016, Umar was part of a protest held at the JNU campus. This protest was held against punishment given to the Kashmiri separatist Maqbool Bhat and Afzal Guru who were known as the 2001 parliament attack convicts.
It is reported that Umar shouted many anti-national statements and was arrested by the police along with JNU’s Students Union President Kanhaiya Kumar.
Also, Check: ➡Kanhaiya Kumar Wiki
Along with this protest Umar was involved in many protests and become the leader of the Democratic Students Union in JNU.
Umar Khalid Personal Life
Umar is unmarried. Umar is not dating anyone and not married yet. Umar believes in the Islam religion.
Umar Khalid Controversy
Umar was involved in many controversies due to his revolutionary ideologies. He was claimed as a “terrorist” by Indian media.
- In 2016, he was arrested during a protest against capital punishment to Maqbool Bhat and Afzal Guru.
- He gave a fiery speech to his followers and other JNU students and portrayed himself as a modern freedom fighter.
- In 2018, he was expelled from JNU after a high-level inquiry by JNU’s committee on his involvement in the 2016 JNU protest incident.
- In 2018, he escaped from death when a man tried to shoot him from point-blank range at the Constitutional Club of India.
- On 13 September 2020, Umar was arrested as he was found guilty for his involvement in Delhi riots that were held in January 2020 against CAA Act announced by the Indian Government.
Umar Khalid Net Worth
Umar Khalid’s net worth is estimated at around Rs. 50 Lakhs.